Review - "Hunt For the Skinwalker"



I would like to thank Gummerfan and Naveed for pointing out the Skinwalker Ranch in Utah and the fascination book “Hunt for the Skywalker,” by Colm A. Kelleher, PhD and George Knapp.

Sometimes, I swear my search for answers takes me on crazy serendipitous paths. When I want to know information, it comes to me in strange ways and I find correlations that send me off in different tangents. Have you ever gone online to Google a subject and then that has a link that makes you look into something else, and before you know it you started out searching for popular fishing spots in the Great Lakes and ended up researching how to make butterscotch pudding?

That’s my life pretty much every day…

This book was mentioned by Naveed and I was curious, I admit. Now that I’ve been researching places with phenomenon and finding strange correlations like the kind of geology and the 33rd parallel latitude, well, the book seemed like a perfectly timely read.

And it was!

I was admittedly put off that George Knapp was co-writer only because I associate him as a reporter who follows Area 51. I worried this would be so sensationalized that there would be very little substance and lots of speculation. Yeah, there’s gobs of speculation, but it’s the good kind. This book is like a massage for your brain--it wakes you up into a new relaxed reality. It’s the kind of book that gets us thinking in new directions, opening our minds like you’re peeling back the tin lid on a can of sardines and they realize that they really don’t need to be crowded anymore—the world has lots of space. That’s kind of how I felt after reading this book, like there are no boundaries to space and time.

The book is based on a “factual” case of a family that moved to a remote ranch in NE Utah and began to experience strange phenomenon, from things going missing and ending up in weird places, to strange orbs of lights, space ships, aliens beings, cattle mutilations, and the scariest of all, strange creatures that defied things on earth and that local Indians refer to as “skinwalkers,” or witches who can make themselves into any kind of beast.

I started reading the book when I had a few free minutes and it ended up hours later and I literally could not put it down. It reads like an amazing account of the paranormal set in a place of vulnerability to the elements and isolation geographically. I read it as a fictional work with some hints of the truth. It’s impossible to sort out the true from the confused and enhanced, but the essence of it is—if even a few of these things truly occurred, there is something about this site that was ideal for weirdness.

Admittedly, when the NIDS (National Institute of Discovery Science) came onto the scene to study the ranch for several years when the owners moved out from fear, the incidents became less frequent and over time trickled down to very few. The greater question becomes; was it the time for it to die off naturally? Did the owners themselves somehow enhance by their presence and emotions this phenomenon? Was a portal to the area closed somehow? Or, knowing that they were now being the observed instead of the observers, they moved on to new game?

What I loved about the layout of this book is the way the writers brought in accounts and then interviews and then background information in a very logical manner. At the end of the book, they did something I think is brilliant and how I would have tackled this kind of subject because of my logical mind; they presented all the options for what occurred there and the pro’s and con’s of each possible explanation. I felt my already open mind creaking open a bit wider by the end of the book.

I admit that, after reading this book, many of things I’ve learning about phenomenon are clicking into place. This wasn’t just about this spot in Utah, other places around the world have described this kind of phenomenon. In fact, one of my favorites are the elves in Iceland. The people there believe in them so strongly as mischief makers that they’re officially protected and freeways can’t be built through their lands. I’ve wondered about that a long time because Iceland is very volcanic and it seems that volcanic lands creates places where you see a lot of this kind of creature/lights/poltergeist activity.

I don’t think this is the last we’ll hear of this kind of natural phenomenon. I haven’t made a decision one way or the other what I think is occurring but I do think the conditions in the earth are a factor and I’m not sure if that makes it attractive for a “portal” to appear from another dimension or if it creates some kind of release of gases perhaps or magnetic phenomenon that affects people’s minds, or what.

After reading this book, I’m curious to find out more about these places on the earth and their commonalities so that perhaps we could even predict where they are likely to occur in the future or might now be occurring but no one is residing in these remote areas to witness it.

I highly suggest reading this book. I liked it so much, I bought a copy for my father-in-law for father’s day because I know he loves western stories and this is just as good as any Louis L’Amour for suspense in a western setting.

Comments

  1. Thought this would make a great addition to your article. There are other upload possibilities for those who don't have QuickTime below the first adress.

    Binnall of America interview with Colm Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  2. But of course I forgot to post those other possibilities. lol

    Binnall of America

    I've been playing gin online all day and I'm dingy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atrueoriginall;
    Thanks so much! This is wonderful. The more I learn about this, the more I start applying other things like much of these phenomena matches with other places such as these;

    Marfa Lights
    Devil's Promenade
    Iceland's elves
    Mothman/Point Pleasant, WV
    Chupacabra/Puerto Rico

    The question is--are there strings that tie these things together? What are the commonalities?? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh! Watch out or you'll end up in the conspiracy theory forums before long. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check this out sometime when you've got about an hour. Pretty neat.
    Check this out sometime

    ReplyDelete
  6. Atrueoriginall;
    Thanks. I can't wait to see it. I have always been intrigued by conspiracy theories because I've always been highly skeptical and I usually don't believe anything heresay, so I tend to be like a reporter, I just want to uncover stuff. Some theories make me laugh so hard. Others make me think. I don't necessarily believe there's any coverup, but I think that some things in nature tie together and we just haven't figured out how they do it. That's the part I get excited about is the science in all of this more than the coverups and alien invaders and other theories. I guess I'm more of a naturalist? Even if other dimensions exist and can interconnect somehow, that's nature. But the whole "government is covering stuff up" mindset--not really my bag. Oh yeah, I'm sure they do, but I also think that in regards to many of these weird occurrences, they're just as clueless as us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "not into the whole government is covering stuff up"

    I highly doubt it too. The government, well what we call government, are the politicians. Politicians don't know anything and never will. The only ones that could have ever covered anything up would have been 'old military'. People say that president so and so saw this but there's not a shred of proof in those words but they say it anyway.

    As far as the weirdness thingy goes, i.e., mothman, skinwalker, etc. it's just flat weird. lol And, there never seems to be a grand finale. Same, same for UFOs, etc.

    500 years from now the living will call it all the mythology of the 21st century or something like that. :) People will most likely study it just like we study mythology today. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds interesting, i will check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great review. I am not a big reader but this sounds like one I could get into.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment